Global News

2 bound bodies found in NYC were missing Virginia sisters

2 bound bodies found in NYC were missing Virginia sisters

According to police, the sisters' mother said she received a call from the Saudi Embassy in Washington a day before the bodies were discovered informing her that her daughters had been ordered to leave to United States because they had applied for political asylum.

Tala was last seen Aug, 24, according to a posting on the website of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

The NYPD says there's no known nexus between the sisters' death and the Saudi government.

Police released a sketch of the two women found laying on rocks near the Hudson River off of Riverside Park. Their bodies, which had no obvious signs of trauma, were discovered about 225 miles away from Fairfax, Virginia, where they lived and vanished in August.

The medical examiner's office was investigating the cause of death. has learned Rotana, from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, was an undergraduate at George Mason University from January 2016 until May of this year.

Investigators are still mystified by how and why Rotana, 22, and Tala, 16, made their way to NY from their adopted Virginia home, as well as whether their demise was a freakish suicide pact or something more sinister.

Interviews with family members and others have begun to shed light on "what was going on in the two young ladies' lives", he said.

People's Vote March: Kent protestors to join thousands in London
According to The Mirror , the People's Vote March set off from Park Lane at midday and will end in a rally in Parliament Square . The UK is scheduled to formally leave the European Union on March 29, 2019, under the terms of the two-year Article 50 process.

The Royal Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in NY confirmed in a statement Tuesday that the Farea sisters were students accompanying their brother in Washington, D.C.

They had been previously reported missing in December 2017.

New York Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said they were particularly interested in finding out what happened since they were reported missing and what led them to New York.

The Saudi embassy in Washington declined to comment on the reports.

In a statement released today, the Saudi Arabian Consulate General in NY said the Farea sisters were "citizens accompanying their brother in Washington" and it had "appointed an attorney to follow the case closely".

New York City police sent a detective to Virginia to learn more about the sisters.

"The embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Washington, D.C. has reached out to the citizens' family and extended its support and aid in this trying time", the statement said.