Global News

Duterte shuts 'cesspool' tourist isle for six months

Duterte shuts 'cesspool' tourist isle for six months

South Korean inhabitants of Boracay are expected to take a hit after the Philippine government announced the closure of the holiday island for six months to address environmental woes.

Galvez, who led troops in the five-month battle to retake Marawi city from terrorist insurgents that occupied the southern Philippines city in May, will replace Gen. Rey Leonardo who will finish his extended term on April 24, Xinhua reported.

Earlier this year Mr Duterte said Boracay was turning into a "cesspool" and threatened to shut it down. Over 2 million tourists visited the hotspot a year ago.

The government says the overhaul is necessary to save the tiny island, which generated over $1 billion last year but can not cope under the strain of 2 million tourists a year.

Immigrants Must Give Social Media Information for Visa Applications, State Department Proposes
The visa norm will also include the proposed visa application and also include the various other details of the medical history. The public has 60 days to comment on the proposal once it is filed to the Federal Register today.


Those who want to open their own business will receive opportunities, loans, and trainings, the DTI chief said.

However, you can understand why the move is being made - Filipino officials said that the island can only sustain 30,000 people but teems with 70,000 at any time.

In February, Mr Duterte condemned the island's hotels, restaurants and other tourist businesses, accusing them of dumping sewage directly into the sea.

The battalion of extra officers trained on civil disturbance management from Camp Martin Delgado in Iloilo City augmented Boracay Island security forces following reports of possible protest rallies after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the shutdown of the prime tourist destination to tourists starting April 26.


loading...